Harboring Contentment

I never expected to spend my summers in Door County, Wisconsin.  I don't have any family there, nor a history of connection to the peninsula. Three years ago, I said yes to a trip with a friend to a place I never heard of. Many people know it as the Cape Cod of the Midwest. Since that first trip, it has become a thrice annual event. The two previous trips had been short, three-day weekends with girlfriends. This summer, our family stayed an entire week and really had a chance to settle in and enjoy total contentment.

STAY

Of the three times I have been, I recommend an Airbnb over a hotel, inn or cottage. I've stayed at both of these locations and they were fantastic. 

EXPLORE OUTDOORS

Door County is an outdoor vacation that can be equal parts action and restorative. My favorite, and repeat event is the Sister Bay Sunset Cruise, it is a great intro activity after a long day of travel. The boys enjoyed fishing at Anclam Park Baileys Harbor. The whole family went on their maiden sailing voyage with Sail Door County offering many private charters and lighthouse tours. Peninsula State Park has a gorgeous golf course, Eagle Bluff light house and viewing tower, and Nicolet Beach for swimming and kayaking. Newport State Park is a great place to catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights on a clear night. 

DAY TRIP

Take the car and drive on to the ferry to Washington Island. While on the island, stop at WIS-CO for a cup of coffee and breakfast. Visit Fragrant Isle Lavender farm and shop. My favorite items in the shop are the honey lavender personal fragrance and natural insect repellent.  Anyone up for a little day drinking should head to their cafe and shabooze a lavender rose` slushie (or more.) Wander down the road to tour the Stavkirke, a wooden church built to resemble an ancient Norwegian chapel. School House Beach, one of only five beaches in the world with smooth, limestone pebbles is best enjoyed wearing a hybrid hiking/water shoe. We landed at Jackson Harbor Soup and Sandwich, for a late lunch and every time, I order The Jen and have never felt the need to try anything else on the menu. 


EAT & DRINK

I'll start this section standing on a soapbox, telling anyone who stands still long enough, of the best restaurant there ever was in Door County, the Wickman House. It sadly closed after the 2023 season. Along with Wickman House, their sister spot Trixie's closed and reopened as The Fashionable

The pain of being denied Wickman House is akin to the loss I feel for Lot 2 in Omaha. I'm salty and sad about it. I couldn't or didn't make reservations at The Fashionable this time around. I am sure they are a lovely place, but I really miss Wickman House's Fish Monger Stew and was bummed they didn't bring it with them to The Fashionable. And really, no one else in Door County is making this dish? I will just have to learn to make it myself

After the sting of not getting what I want wore off and were replaced by dinner time tummy rumbles, we ended up at Chives in Baileys Harbor and it was a wonderful meal, with good drinks and charming atmosphere. As for the rest of our dinners, well they were marginal at best, likely because I was comparing everything to a place that no longer exists. That's a me problem. 

Below are a few new places that stand out this trip:
  • Roost + Banter for hip and conscious community vibe, coffee, and bourke pastries in Baileys Harbor.
  • Skip Stone coffee and breakfast sandwiches in Sister Bay. 
  • Wild Tomato is a vibe you must experience for yourself along with incredible pizza made with local-sourced ingredients, locations in Sister Bay and Fish Creek. 
  • Pearl Wine Cottage is as charming as it sounds. Imagine the feeling of lounging in your best friend’s house who loves wine and generously pours while you chat. 
  • Although we didn't eat breakfast at Al Johnson's, we took our Skip Sone coffee to the courtyard and watched the goats eat the grass on the roof. 

SHOPS

I can't walk out of Sister Golden without a new print. These two ladies live in my dining room. And true to form, I left with two Halloween prints that are going up soon in the living room. Vintique is a resale shop that is arranged like a boutique home store. When I visit Alpaca to Apparel, I'm there to point out Christmas wish list items to the hubs. We pick up a couple wool balls for our puppy. They are the perfect weight for her to bat around the pet-friendly home rental. 

Each trip to the peninsula is full, and as exciting or relaxing as desired. We spent a week there and already have a full list of what we want to do next time we visit. 




Comments