Czech This

A friend and I visited a Pat Mapes estate sale in early December. It was the largest home in an historic neighborhood. We made our way up the corner lot, into the house, and through the rooms. There were furs, multiple sets of China, vintage clothing, fine linens, furniture and lighting. Inside the den, the walls were covered in a plaid/tartan wallpaper as a backdrop to the oversized leather furniture. The room was decidedly masculine. (Think Ron Burgundy, and his many leather bound books that smell of rich mahogany.) So the carefully curated, back lit curio cabinet of delicate glassware stood out because it didn’t quite belong. Inside were two gorgeous wine decanter and glass sets, hand painted in a bohemian pattern. My mind slipped back to a recent conversation with my mom. She and her sisters had been to a Czech wine tasting event. They had so much fun together that night, learning about their heritage and sampling wine from regions their family once lived. I put in bids on both of the sets that were accepted. I gave one set to my mom, and the other to my auntie who is also my god mother. My hope is they will have many more great evenings together over wine and celebrating their heritage and family. 







Comments