Find Dining

Our dining room lived in my mind's eye long before it ever started coming together in real life. Putting a room together takes me forever and I'm never finished. This used to frustrate Chris who wondered why we couldn't just go to the big furniture store in town, pick everything in one trip and have it delivered? As our rooms come together, he is less frustrated with the find process. It can be a rollercoaster of instant and delayed gratification. It takes patience to wait for the the right thing and one must act with urgency when something has been found.  

This dining room started coming together during an Instagram scroll across the Mod Lines Vintage Mid-Century & Retro account. I saw the dining set I had to have. It was a Burke 60" tulip based, walnut top dining room table with six propeller based chairs, seats covered in original purple and electric pink tweed-like fabric. It was was an adventure of yelling, swearing and laughing getting it home. Our dining room is near the front of the house with a large window, the perfect reason to select a bold statement light of satin brass and five white globes. It is a conversation piece beyond the room itself. Our new neighbors comment how they love to walk by the house to see if the cool light is on.    

In the middle of our move we took a day off to spend with my dear friend Carilyn who came home to visit Nebraska from Prague where she lived for two years. Our group of friends spent the day at the Little Boho Backyard Bash in the Little Bohemia. We had so much fun that day! As we said our good byes and walked away, I noticed the event's promotional poster looking a lot like the old Bohemian Cafe mural. I thought it would be sweet to have one. I messaged Abby, the owner of Dusk Good Gifts in Little Boho and asked if she had a promo poster in her shop and would save it for me? She did, she would. Shortly thereafter we experienced a flash flood in the city. Somehow she tucked the poster away where it wasn't ruined by the flood water that covered her store floor. When I see it on my wall I think of that day with Carilyn and the many fun trips to Dusk and chats with Abby.

The corner cabinet came our way via 15Two Home another Instagram account I check in with regularly. It is open and ready to store vintage dishes that I will find. The LaCroix painted pot is from a local Pot Shoppe that I found at Five Nine, a shop owned by Nebraska Senator Megan Hunt. The pot is holding a plant that I wanted for a long time, monstera. I was hesitant because they tend to get huge, tangled and unruly. Christine at The Green House advised keeping it small and splitting it often to avoid it going wild. Both Chris and I love going to her shop in Little Boho. It is where Chris picked up his copy of Square Foot Gardening that inspired his vision for the micro farm he is starting in our back yard. My heart is happy when there is a story or a relationship with the things we curate in our home. I look forward to finding more meaningful accessories to continue to tie it together, but it won't happen anytime soon. And that is all part of the find process. 







Comments