Cut Flower Garden

One third of our back yard gets full sun and is dedicated to our first attempt at a garden. The plans are so ambitious, in my opinion, I call it the micro farm. Chris seems up for the challenge which is good because, let’s be honest, he’s is going to be the one out there in July weeding, not me. I’ve communicated my level of investment up front. This year, we are planting peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, eggplant, asparagus, green beans, peas, watermelon, corn, spaghetti squash, butternut squash and pumpkin.

I am most excited about the two patches that I will be managing, the cut flower garden and the edible flowers and herb garden. I purchased a book about cut flower gardening during my last trip to Ashland, Nebraska at the Salt Creek Mercantile. I’ve been pouring over it for two months. The prep work for dahlias, ranunculus, and zinnias are underway inside the house. We already have peonies and planted more last fall. I feel like we have a good start. As for the edible flowers and herbs, I’m starting from seed packets I purchased from Indian Creek Nursery and letting it be what it will be. I do look forward to filling our home with flowers from our backyard; cooking, baking and making cocktails with ingredients grown in our edible flower and herb garden. 










Comments