Crashing the Board

On any other weekend, we would be watching 10 year-old boys play basketball. But tonight, this is the only board being crashed. The hubs and I have a four day weekend to ourselves with no obligations. So naturally, it would start with a couple bottles of wine and a handful of new cheeses.

There are a few items that I've tried recently, at various events that have really hit the mark and I try to keep them around the kitchen as staples. They do not necessarily pair with each other, but purely a suggestion for trying something new.

Newest to me, is Beecher's New Woman cheese that the hubs and I picked up at Baker's/Kroger. I picked it up because of the package, interesting name and icon. I put it in the cart because of the description. This cheese fantastic! I couldn't name the flavors on my own, so I had to do a little research. I never would have guessed there was Jamaican Jerk seasoning in this cheese. This is a new staple in our house.

I sampled Red Dragon for the first time during a committee meeting at Corkscrew Wine and Cheese. This cheese is soft, creamy and has a spicy mustard flavor, which I'm into. We tried to order more that night, but they were out. I went home that night and found it on the web, had it delivered. I have not seen it in an Omaha grocery store near me, yet. I have not yet looked at Whole Foods or Fresh Thyme. Maybe there is hope.

The first time I tried Asiago cheese with rosemary and olive oil, was among best friends, and a lot of wine. I remember being surprised, but not, when a rather large wedge devoured in a fairly sort amount of time. Since that night, I haven't had Asiago without rosemary and olive oil. Of the three grocery stores I frequent (Baker's/Kroger, Trader Joe's, or Hy-Vee), I've been able to find that store's version of it. All of them are earthy, nutty goodness.

The dolmas from Trader Joe's were on the buffet at a friend's dinner party. They looked a little strange, but I will try anything once. I'm into it. I like all of the different levels of flavor, and am predisposed to enjoying Mediterranean foods, growing up in an Italian family on my father's side.

If you are looking for tips on how to pair this cheese with that wine, I am of no help. I play fast and loose with my boards, and am always happy with the result.



Comments