Tips for Passing the PHR

In 2016, I became a certified Professional in Human Resources by passing the PHR exam. I blogged about it under my maiden name and am transferring the post to this site. Overall, the studying and prep work seemed reasonable to me, however that may be because I had recently taken master's level courses and was accustomed to the combination of classroom/online/self study over a short period of time. What I found slightly frustrating was that there didn't seem to be a syllabus and required text and materials for the learning. I am writing this post in hopes that the suggestions here help someone else in their preparation and passing of the PHR/SPHR exam.




















Human Resources Association of the Midlands (HRAM) prep course
At the time, HRAM offered a 16 week, structured agenda, and classroom course featured area professionals presenting material based on the PHR/SPHR outline provided by the HR Certification Institute (HRCI), the accrediting body. (They have since moved to offering a prep course for SHRM exam.) The class met one night each week for three hours and there was an optional Saturday morning session to review practice questions. Study material, such as presentations and self-print practice questions were provided in electronic form. There were pros and cons to this course. Some of the local professionals were fantastic presenters. Others were not. There was not a clear list of materials to purchase for study, we never received a solid answer, which prompted this very post. Regarding the class, be willing to commit to the evening class and Saturday sessions if signing up for the course, about 6 hours each week for 16 weeks. In my opinion, the most value came from the Saturday practice question sessions. However, that could have been because it was reinforcing the message that I received in class. Bottom line: I am learner who needs structure, and that is why I took the course.
Cost: $495 ($395 for HRAM members)

PHR / SPHR Professional in Human Resources Certification Deluxe Study Guide 
March 9, 2015, by Sandra Reed and Anne Bogardus. This book was informally regarded as the text book for the course. I think it is worth the $44 that I paid as the hardcover version came with some additional online study materials as well. Of those materials, I took advantage of getting the book in a PDF format. This probably helped me the most as I was able to leave the book at home and have the PDF on all of my other devices. I could study on the fly without having to lug the book around. The practice questions at the end of the chapters were helpful. Flash cards are also available for self-print online. The site also offered a 100 question practice quiz. Other colleagues in my study group purchased the 2012 soft cover version of the book and passed as well. I just can't speak to any online additions with that version.
Cost: $44 ($39 for the 2012 version)

Perhaps my favorite study tool was the audiobook format of the PHR - SPHR Study Guide 2012 Edition by David Siler published by Inc. Distinctive Human Resources. I loved this, because it made studying available anywhere I went. I would read a chapter in the book and then reinforce the learning by listening to David. He also offers commentary in his book, some (pretty hilariously dry scripted) role playing scenarios to illustrate points. I was able to study at the gym, while I was cleaning, during my commute and anywhere else that I could access my iPhone and a pair of earbuds. Please note that downloading the Audible app is required to use this tool. The order for the audio book is placed through your Amazon account and then shows up in your Audible app, if the two are linked.
Cost: $21 (or 1 credit with your $14.95 Audible membership)

Any downtime I had, I fired up the S/PHR® Exam Practice by Pocket Prep, Inc. app on my phone. There is a daily question to answer and the option to purchase the a full 1,000 question bank for $26.99. The questions come from the Anne Bogardus book.
Cost: $27

HRCI practice exams are available for purchase, $50 each or as an $80 bundle. I performed well enough on the free quiz offered through the Anne Bogardus book that I did feel the need to purchase additional practice tests from HRCI. I did have that link ready to roll if I did need it.
Cost: $50-$80

Applying to take the exam is a real treat. I wish I would have done it sooner. By the time I registered, there were limited options and nearly all the weekend test times were gone. I first had to apply to take the exam by submitting a request to test through HRCI. This involves creating an account, navigating their less-than-user friendly site and filling out an application. The application asked a handful of standard questions, required me to upload all of my HR related job descriptions, submit a copy of my degree, (provide a letter from my 3rd grade teacher, give a blood sample, and on and on and on and on. Just kidding about those last few stipulations. But it felt like that.) Basically, don't make any plans that afternoon. It *may* take some time. And then, I was one of the lucky ones whose application went to the committee for random review. In fact, several of my classmate's applications were under review. This process could take anywhere from one day to three weeks, hence my advice to apply early. Cost: Precious, precious time and a fair amount of frustration.

When I finally was approved to sit for the exam, I followed the specific instructions to sign up at a Prometric testing center. Quick and painless. I opted to purchase the $100 insurance. If I didn't pass the test on the first time around, I would be allowed to sit for it six months later for that $100 price. The cost of the exam is $375 with a $75 application fee.
Cost: $550

Everything considered, the total cost of this suggested package would work out to $1,217.
Advise. Everyone wants to give advice, likely because they are relieved to have passed as well.
Some of the advice I followed and others I did not.

Register for both exams. 
Register and set a date to take the SPHR, then register and select a date to take the PHR about a week or two later. Pass the SPHR, cancel the PHR appointment. Don't pass the SPHR, then the PHR is still an option and the likelihood of getting certified is pretty good, given proper study methods. It was an interesting concept and sort of a bets hedge. I kind of wish I would have done that. However, I am not sure I could have convinced my company to pay for both registrations. I would have likely had to swing the second registration/cancellation fees on my own dime. And the tests are expensive. I also would have needed to do a little work to find out the cancellation policies for the exams to make sure I scheduled them far enough apart that I would limit the amount of money I would be out for cancellation fees.

Take the exam immediately after taking the prep course.
I did not. I didn't feel that I was fully prepared after the prep course. We may never know if I would have passed or not if I would have followed their advice. I took an extra two months to go over the book, the practice questions and listen to the chapters again, after the course concluded. Hind site being 20/20, if I could have dedicated an additional 6-10 hours per week of reading, listening, and quizzing myself during the same time I was taking the prep class -- I am sure it would have been fine. That would have been 16-20 hours per week dedicated to this certification. My work load and family commitments at that time just simply didn't allow for that.

Don't study just before going into the test. 
I looked up a few things that I was still uncomfortable with, but it didn't do me any good. I didn't get questions on any of those topics. Maybe that is why they say that. A last ditch effort to memorize something isn't really going to be necessary because it is all about applying concepts.

Divorce myself from the way my company's HR department handles things. 
For this exam in particular, I tried to put our scenarios out of my mind. The reason being is that this certification is about law and application of best practices for the masses, not how one specific company conducts business. Know the law. Know how to apply the best practice.

Comments